Friday, April 12, 2013

Change begins and continues...

Well...a lot has happened since my first post.

I spent the first 3 weeks of the second semester in the office as an "acting" vice-principal, after our principal suffered an injury.  I have to say that that extended time gives an eye-opening view into what actually happens down there.  I've covered a day or two here or there before, but never for this length of time.  I think it would be extremely beneficial for all teachers to spend a couple days in the office in that role - it certainly would give a new view into how busy it is, how many hats have to be worn, and all the important behind-the-scenes work that gets done; work that I don't believe all teachers have a good appreciation for.

We are also embracing 21st Century learning, more formally now, by bringing project-based learning to our grade 8s starting in September, 2014.  I'm excited for the opportunity to learn, design, and implement this system to enhance what we already do at Dover so well.  We have a strong team organized, and my hope is that it goes extremely well as my daughter in grade 5 would be able to be a student in this program in its 2nd year.  This is only one change we have at Dover.  Two other teachers are starting a humanities program they are calling the "Odyssey" program, and two more teachers are collaborating on a Phys Ed/Planning/Health program.  While not involved in the PBL model, collaboration and 21st Century learning are definitely taking hold at Dover in many areas, which is great to see.

Finally, just last night, a district consultant presented his recommendations for our district's 10-year facilities plan.  This plan included the closing of 2 high schools and several elementary schools.  While this is not always the best news for families, students, and teachers, empty seats and declining enrollment have forced the issue in this case.

As is usually the case, change is not easy, and never makes everyone happy.  However, I'm confident that students will be the biggest beneficiaries from the changes not only at Dover Bay, but district-wide.  I know my own children will have a more successful school experience with these changes in place.

"Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be."  John Wooden

No comments:

Post a Comment